Currency and Prices in Montenegro
Understand the currency and prices in Montenegro for a more comfortable and practical vacation. Let us discover the most common price ranges in the country.
In this article, we'll dive into the fascinating world of prices and currency in Montenegro, shedding light on how this unique system affects travelers. We'll also provide valuable insights into the costs you can expect during your stay in this charming country. Whether you're a budget-conscious traveler or looking to indulge in local delicacies and experiences, understanding the local price landscape is key to making the most of your Montenegrin adventure. So, let's embark on a journey through the realm of euros, exchange rates, and the price tags that make Montenegro a must-visit destination.
Before we dive deeper into the topics of currency and prices, allow us to introduce MontenegroCar. We are the premier rent-a-car agency in Montenegro, offering you the opportunity to explore this beautiful country in the comfort of your own vehicle. With our diverse fleet and competitive prices, we aim to become your trusted partner for experiencing all that Montenegro has to offer.
Understanding Montenegro's Currency System:
Montenegro has a unique currency arrangement – they utilize the euro (€) despite not being a member of the European Union. This intriguing practice may pique your curiosity, so let's delve into the essential information that explains this situation.
To comprehend why Montenegro has adopted the euro, it's imperative to consider the historical context. Montenegro's historical ties to the euro date back to when it was part of the former Yugoslavia. After the disintegration of Yugoslavia in the 1990s, Montenegro chose to adopt the German mark as its de facto currency. When the euro replaced the German mark, Montenegro continued to use it. This currency transition facilitated trade and tourism within the Balkans and with neighboring EU countries.
Why It Matters for Tourists:
For tourists hailing from the European Union, Montenegro's use of the euro brings significant convenience. It eliminates the need for currency exchange at each border crossing, simplifying travel logistics. You can explore the country without worrying about carrying various currencies.
The advantage of using the euro for tourists lies in the predictability of currency exchange rates in Montenegro. Unlike countries with volatile local currencies, Montenegro's choice of the euro ensures you won't face sudden fluctuations in the exchange rate. This stability contributes to more reliable budget planning for your trip.
ATMs and Currency Exchange Offices:
Tips on Where and How to Obtain Euros When Needed:
Montenegro boasts a plethora of ATMs and currency exchange offices within banks, offering various options for obtaining euros during your visit. Here are some tips on where and how to secure euros:
- Banks: Banks typically provide competitive exchange rates. It's advisable to use bank-operated ATMs for currency withdrawal to get the most favorable rates. Major banks like Crnogorska Komercijalna Banka (CKB), Adiko, NLB, Lovćen and Adriatic Bank are just a few banks that have a widespread presence in Montenegro.
- Currency Exchange Offices: These are rare outside banks, so ATMs and banks are your best bet.
Note on Typical ATM Fees:
It's essential to be aware that banks and ATMs may impose fees for transactions on foreign cards. These fees can include a flat rate or a percentage of the transaction amount. Before your journey, contact your bank to inquire about any international withdrawal fees and explore options for minimizing these charges. Using ATMs affiliated with your bank's global network may help reduce additional costs. Remember, a little pre-trip financial planning can go a long way in making your Montenegrin adventure more budget-friendly.
Overview of Prices in Montenegro: What to Expect:
Now that we've clarified the currency system, it's time to explore local prices. Here's what you can anticipate in various categories during your stay in Montenegro:
Restaurants and Cafes:
Restaurant Desetka - A Unique Place in Podgorica:
When exploring the vibrant culinary scene of Podgorica, one name stands out prominently – Restaurant Desetka. This dining establishment is a culinary gem that seamlessly blends traditional continental, Mediterranean, and Montenegrin cuisine. It's not just a restaurant; it's an experience that encapsulates the essence of Montenegro's gastronomic heritage.
Desetka is a versatile establishment, making it perfect for families, fun-seekers, tourists, and business professionals. It's a warm and welcoming place for families, a hub of enjoyment for those seeking a great time, a culinary adventure for tourists exploring Montenegrin flavors, and a suitable venue for business meetings and discussions.
Next, we'll dive into the culinary offerings and prices at Desetka.
- Breakfast | 2-6€: Start your day with a traditional breakfast. Enjoy reasonably priced items like omelette with ham and cheese, homemade stuffed toast and the amazing Montenegrin breakfast.
- Cooked Meals | 4-6€: During our lifetime, many of us have found ourselves wondering if there's a place where we can enjoy a homey, grandmother-style meal served with a spoon. When you're away from home and longing for the familiar and comforting aroma and flavors of the dishes you've cherished since childhood, Desetka restaurant's kitchen crafts freshly made meals to fulfill that longing. Try the delightful Stuffed peppers with homemade mashed potatoes, Homemade peas with dried meat and Beans with homemade sausage. Their prices range from 4-6€.
- Vegetarian Dishes | 2.80 - 4.50€: Desetka offers fantastic gastronomic experiences for vegetarians. The vegetarian menu is quite affordable and includes Pasta alla Napolitana, Vegan Sendwich, Risoto with vegetables, etc.
- Coffee | 1-2€/cup: Enjoy your favorite coffee at Desetka. Turkish Coffee, Espresso Premium, Deutch, Caffe Latte, Macchiato, Capuccino and many more.
- Beer | 2-3€: Quench your thirst with beer, available at great prices. Tuborg, Budweiser, Carlsberg, and other famous brands go for 2 – 3€ per 0.33l.
- Wine | 3.50 - 30€: The wine selection features a variety of red, rose and white wines. Prices for wine bottle vary from 3-30€. Wine on Glass cost 3.50 - 5.50€.
- Natural Squeezed Juices |2-5€: Cool off with a refreshing selection squeezed juices. Thematically names after Greek Gods, these are as healthy as they are tasty. They come in 0.25-0.5l bottles and cost anywhere between 2 - 5€.
Beach Club Prices
Let’s look at the Beach Club Kamenovo, a haven of sun, sea, and relaxation nestled along the enchanting Budva coast. It's a place where you can let loose until the early hours of the morning with great music and cocktails at our beach bar. When your appetite calls, indulge in exquisitely prepared dishes at our beachfront restaurant. Whether you're riding the waves on a jet ski, basking in the sun on a rented lounger, or simply savoring the mesmerizing views of the beautiful Adriatic Sea, Kamenovo has all the ingredients for an unforgettable summer retreat.
Now, let's explore the Kamenovo menu and its prices:
- Breakfast | 4.50-7€ (8 am - 1 pm): Enjoy a hearty breakfast with local and international flavors, including pastries and omelette dishes. The classic ham omelette goes for 5.80€.
- Main Course Dishes | 10-22€: Delight in succulent steaks, fresh seafood, and hearty pasta dishes. Grilled calamari are extremely popular and cost only 13.00€.
- Sandwiches | 7€: Satisfy your cravings with classic club sandwiches and gourmet paninis. Most cost about 7€.
- Salads | 8-11€: Explore fresh salads, from Caesar to Mediterranean-inspired options.
- Appetizers | 4-22€: Enhance your experience with local produce like olives, Njeguši prosciutto and cheese. Njeguši delicacies both go for 8.50€ per 100g.
- Seafood | 13-16€: Dive into a variety of seafood dishes, featuring freshly caught fish.
- Pizza | 7-11.50€: Taste the tried and true pizzas which cost 10€ on average.
- Desserts | 4-8.50€: Fresh fruit and delicious icecreams are here to combat the summer heat.
Hard Rock Souvenir Shops:
Hard Rock, a globally renowned brand, is not just about great food and music but also offers a fantastic array of souvenirs to commemorate your visit. In Montenegro, you can find Hard Rock souvenir shops in three vibrant cities: Kotor, Budva and Podgorica. For this blog, we will take a look at the Kotor souvenir shop.
The Hard Rock souvenir shop in Kotor is located in the heart of the Old town. It's a perfect place to pick up stylish Hard Rock merchandise and unique memorabilia. If you're a fan of souvenirs, you'll be pleased with the prices. T-shirts, mugs, and other mementos are affordable and perfect for taking a piece of Montenegro with you.
Cineplexx in Podgorica:
Cineplexx in Podgorica is situated in a prime location in Big Fashion. It is a leading cinema chain known for its modern facilities and a wide array of movie options. The Podgorica branch continues this tradition, providing a top-notch cinematic experience. You can expect the latest releases, comfortable seating, and a range of snacks and beverages to enhance your movie night. Please note that specific movie prices will vary, so be sure to check for the latest showtimes and ticket rates. Prices for projections range from anywhere between 3 and 10 euros, all depending on movie exclusivity, whether it is 2D or 3D, as well as if it is a new release. Be sure to check the Cineplexx repertoire for the latest showtimes and ticket prices.
Montenegrin National Theatre:
The Montenegrin National Theatre is a cultural landmark located in the heart of Podgorica. It's easily accessible and plays a pivotal role in Montenegro's artistic scene. The Montenegrin National Theatre is a hub for the performing arts, showcasing a diverse range of cultural performances. From classic plays to contemporary productions, the theater offers a rich cultural experience for both locals and tourists. Ticket prices vary and are usually 5-7 euros, with discounts for students. You can contact the theater or visit their website for the latest information on shows, schedules, and ticket rates.
Special Offer from MontenegroCar for Tourists:
Understanding local prices is essential for a seamless journey through Montenegro. We encourage travelers to explore MontenegroCar's car rental services, allowing you the flexibility to discover the country's diverse destinations. Before you embark on your journey through Montenegro, take advantage of MontenegroCar's special offers and car rental services. Take action now – browse our fleet, make reservations, or seek assistance for a memorable visit. Remember to carry some cash as not all places accept cards. Before your trip, familiarize yourself with currency conversion and useful travel apps for added convenience. With these insights, we wish you a remarkable and enjoyable exploration of Montenegro, with MontenegroCar as your reliable partner for car rentals and guidance in this captivating destination.